Sunday, March 14, 2010

Best PSA ever

Usually, I find PSA's (public service announcement) to be boring, bland or just cheesy. But this particular one not only made me value my family and my life but also enforced my habit of wearing my seat belt and spreading the word to those who rarely do so.


The UK based PSA is entitled "Embrace Life." This is not your typical PSA. It's filled with emotion and its aesthetically, beautifully done. The one message that I got from this is; if you're not going to wear your seat belt for yourself at least do it for the ones you love. While this PSA dismisses the use of actual elements of an accident scene (no car collision, no graphic depiction of a human body being mangled beyond recognition) its powerful enough to stand on its own through interpretation with no dialog, only music that seems to make this PSA even more dramatic. The part of the PSA when the husband/father/driver kicks the table and confetti flies in the air is so intense that you can almost put this situation into a vivid real life scene in your mind. I think its what ties this whole act together. And people on YouTube and other articles that have been published on the web seem to agree that this is one compelling PSA.

It just goes to show that PSA's don't always have to be cliche or dry or chocked full of useless dialog. I enjoy advertisements. I would have loved to have sat in on this creative process. I'd have to rate this advertisement as one of my all time favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment